Saturday, July 3, 2010

Home made dumplings

Last Sunday, our pretty Sports Masseur invited us to taste her home made dumplings.  The recipe origins from her hometown, Shen Yang, China.
All she used were flour, meats, eggs, a lot of chives and some salt to make up to 70 dumplings. Ya, that's a lot, and you can eat as much as you can. I had 8 dumplings with vegetables and soup. "Why 8 only? It doesn't taste nice?  You don't like dumplings?" She asked. "No, 8 is always a lucky number. Ha ha. Just kidding." I answered. I am not really fancy about numbers. 8 dumplings are just enough for me.
She prepared 2 types of cooking style; cooked in soup and steamed. Both are very healthy.   Personally, I prefer the one cooked in soup rather than the steamed.  Hmmm....So full and that's all for my dinner.

Nutrients content per dumpling:
Calories: 57.2kcal
Fat:3.2g
Protein:2.1g
Carbohydrate:5.1g



Summary:
A bowl of 8 dumplings with soup will provide 457.6 calories, 16.8g of protein, 25.6g of fat and 40.8g of carbohydrate.

Sometimes, when we look at its healthy cooking style, and its vegetables content, we tend to overeat.  Always remember, 'healthy' can be high in calories too if you indulged in it. So, again, be moderate. By the way, I did not pre-calculate what ever foods in front of me before I eat. Ha.

6 comments:

Mad About Writing said...

Hi Karene, I'm Becky--friend of Nanamips. I took an interest in your blog as I'm also concerned about health and diet. Would you mind telling me, do you give diet advice that is more appropriate for athletes only? What about for kids? Non-athletes? (in case I missed out in your introduction somewhere)
I run a blog for mothers and i think it would be interesting if I can bring up this particular topic. Perhaps if I may, feature you as a guest writer one day? my blog: www.carpediembecky.blogspot.com
I'm not sure if you're a mama yet but if you like my blog content, do follow too ya? Thank you.

karene lee said...

Hi, thanks for your interest. I was a clinical dietitian in a private hospital for 5 years. Joined sports recently. My previous work was mostly on adults with clinical illness rather than the kids. I do dealt with diabetic mother. My current interest is mainly educating on calories and nutrients content in the foods. And it is just for fun actually. Thanks for your invitation and see how we can work together in future.

Mad About Writing said...

You're welcome. Well I like how your blog applies to Malaysian foods. Mostly, the ones we google tend to be more western.

How do you count the calories? Do you use a special device?

Yes, I hope we can work together somehow. perhaps you can give diet advice to mothers who want to lose weight after birth? How to balance their meals with fitness activities instead of starving themselves or going to Marie France? :) Just an idea!....

Mad About Writing said...

Thank you also for joining my blog! Have a good day!

karene lee said...

I remember that I met you in toastmaster and Felicia's centre, right? You can always request me to analyze the nutrients and calories content of your meals by providing me the ingredients in details ( with quantity) and the photo. It's totally FOC here.And you may suggest my blog to your friends too. Thanks ya.

Mad About Writing said...

Oh gee, we met before? I'm so sorry I don't remember.... We should meet up one day then?

Ok, thanks a lot! I just may take up your offer one day. Perhaps I can do a food post one day? hmm.. thanks and we'll keep in touch!

Ya, do recommend mine to your friends too! Take care, karene!